Mountain Grove, ON | 1 Queen Bed | Sleeps 2 + Child
$121 Weeknight | $131 Weekend | $154 Long Weekend
2-night minimum booking / 3-night minimum on long weekends
We are currently only booking until May 31st.
Please contact us for questions or to reserve dates further in advance.
Mason cabin offers a cozy, comfortable and private retreat tucked away on 576 acres of Canadian Shield wilderness. The cabin offers modern amenities, private deck, expansive views, and a meandering trail network right outside the door.
Winter Disclaimer: This cabin is a hike-in cabin when the snow becomes too difficult to drive through. Guests are provided with snow-shoes and a sled to haul their gear. Running water is turned off in November when the lake begins to freeze. Drinking and dish washing water is provided. Winter weather can be challenging. Guests must be comfortable, equipped and acknowledge the inherent risks in staying at this backcountry cabin.
Can't find dates you are looking for? Sing up to be notified when new dates and new cabins become available.
Named after the late, great Canadian naturalist and canoeing icon, Bill Mason, Mason cabin resides on 576 pristine acres in the Frontenac Spur of the Canadian Shield, where it sits humbly overlooking a secluded lake with expansive wilderness views. Hike along the extensive trails the property has to offer and meander through a mixture of forest, meadows, beaver ponds, and wetlands. Designed especially for two adults (or small families), Mason cabin offers a cozy, clean, minimalist, rustic and open-concept design with panoramic windows to bring the natural beauty of this unique, rugged property inside.
This Cabinscape is located in the heart of the Land O’ Lakes Region in Central Frontenac, Ontario, an area known for its rugged Canadian Shield terrain, rolling hills, winding roads, pristine lakes, and outdoor adventure activities. A 21-minute drive to the LCBO, Beer Store, and gas station. A 26-minute drive to the quaint village of Sharbot Lake is where you’ll find groceries, a cafe, restaurants, a public beach, local events, concerts and activities.
Conveniently located just over an hour from Kingston, 1.5 from Ottawa and 3 from Toronto. *Parking is available for up to two cars
Our cabin is completely OFF-GRID. (Don’t let this scare you). The cabin is modernized and solar powered with the following amenities and features in the Fall, Summer and Spring:
• Drive-in Access along our rugged pathway or short 5-minute walk from your car (Winter hike-in Access)
• Fully Insulated / Heated via Propane and thermostat
• 4-burner gas stovetop
• Fridge and freezer
• Indoor shower (Running water is shut-off November - Spring Mel/May 1st)
• Indoor composting toilet
• Drinkable and running water (Running water is shut-off November - Spring Melt/May 1st)
• Kitchen accessories and essentials
• Indoor/outdoor bar
• Outdoor shower
• Fire pit
• West-facing lakefront view
• Board games, cards and puzzles
• Canoe, paddles and lifejackets
• Lakeside dock and Swimming dock
• 1 queen bed (ground floor)
WINTER CABIN INFO (NOVEMBER – SPRING MELT) Mason cabin is the perfect winter getaway for outdoor adventure seekers. Enjoy direct access to 10Km of wilderness trails for hiking, snow shoeing and cross country skiing right outside your door. Hunker down and cozy up in our fully insulated cabin (heated via propane). Prepare some hearty home-cooked meals on our four-burner stove, or get adventurous and cook over our cabin-side fire pit.
WINTER CABIN ACCESS Mason cabin is a hike-in destination after the snow falls. Our 400-meter laneway is not plowed in winter months. This means that guests access our cabin by snowshoes when the snow is too deep to drive through (about a short 5 minute walk from your car). There will be a plowed lot at the entrance of our laneway to park your car. You’ll be provided with two pairs of snow-shoes and a sled to haul your gear to the cabin. Running water is turned off in November when the lake begins to freeze. When our water is shut off, guests are supplied with 40L of drinking and dish washing water during their stay.
*WINTER RENTALS (MID NOVEMBER – SPRING MELT) – HIKE IN ONLY* • Snowshoe/Snowmobile/ Cross-Country-Ski Access (5 minute walk down our wintery lane) • Fully Insulated / Heated via Propane and thermostat • 4-burner gas stovetop • Fridge and freezer • Drinking water and washing water provided • No running water / shower water in winter months • Indoor composting toilet • Kitchen accessories and essentials • Indoor/outdoor bar • Fire pit
*hike difficulty level: easy
THINGS TO DO
• Lounge, relax, unplug, unwind, enjoy doing nothing
• Hike over 10km of trails on site
• Swim, canoe, fish
(Note: Our cabin is located in a wild part of the lake. For clear, deep swimming, take out our canoe to our nearby swimming dock)
• Visit Sharbot Lake village (26 minute drive)
• Visit historic Perth village (50 minute drive)
THINGS TO BRING
• Sheets, pillow cases and towels. (Each bed comes with a clean fitted sheet, two pillows and a comforter.) You are welcome to bring your own blankets or sleeping bags.
• Firewood (you can also collect deadwood on the property)
• Appropriate clothes, layers, and bug repellant
• We share our 576 pristine acres with the good folks at the Sumac Centre (a family-owned lodge) and their friendly golden lab Maya. The lodge is located down the lake and out of view from our cabin, giving you ample privacy and seclusion. However, all trails on the property are shared between our cabin and the lodge. Please be respectful of our neighbours and their guests. We have a mutual agreement to give each other as much privacy as possible.
• Our pathway to the cabin is on a rugged, meandering terrain through the forest. It can get rutty depending on weather conditions (especially after heavy rainfall in Spring). We will always update our guests on driving conditions in advance of arrival. If the pathway is not driveable, it's only a short 5-minute hike from your car.
There is NO WIFI access at the cabin. There is good, reliable cell reception for Rogers and Bell customers at the cabin.
You are more than welcome to bring along your pup. 1 dog per booking is permitted. You will need to add your dog as an “additional guest” when booking. Additional guest/pet fee is $25/per night.
Mason cabin can accommodate up to 2 guests. The daily rate includes 2 guests. Additional guest fee is $25/per night.
BRINGING A CHILD?
The cabin comes equipped with an extra toddler bed. Do not bother checking off your toddler (or baby) as an additional guest when booking. Please just let us know in your notes. The cabin can accommodate a maximum of 2 adults, 1 toddler or baby, plus 1 dog.
Guests will have full access to the cabin and surrounding property. Entry is by lock-box and key. Note: Check in time is 3 pm. Check-out is 11 am.
We are always a phone call or text away for any questions or assistance. Our wonderful on-call property manager lives nearby and can be available on-site if need be.
No smoking No parties or events Pets allowed
ENERGY CONSUMPTION: As an off-grid, solar powered cabin, energy conservation is key. Please turn off lights when not in use, especially when you are outside of the cabin. Drawing too much energy may cause you to lose power, so please be mindful of your consumption. There is a back-up generator if needed.
NOISE LEVELS: Please keep your evening noise levels to within reason. We share our 576-acre property with a neighbouring lodge (located down the lake and out of eyesight). But noise carries over water. Help us to promote a quiet and tranquil setting for everyone.
GARBAGE: All garbage and recycling must be packed up and taken home on your departure. There is a local dump that you can stop at on your way home.
PETS: You are more than welcome to bring along your dogs. We ask that you please keep them off the bed. Due to common allergies, cats must be kept at home. Cancellation Policy