Pakenham, ON | 1 Queen Bed | 1 Twin Bed | Sleeps 3
$141 Weeknight | $151 Weekend | $174 Long Weekend
2-night minimum booking / 3-night minimum on long weekends
We are currently booking until December 2nd. Please note running water is shut off in late October when temperatures fall below freezing.
This tiny retreat sits on 77 private acres between a high valley ridge and the edge of a quiet forest, perched above a bubbling brook that will lull you to sleep. An artesian spring feeds the water source of this cabin for refreshing, clean outdoor showers. Just 45-minutes west of Ottawa, Canada's Capital City.
Named after the iconic Canadian folk songstress, Joni Mitchell, this intimate wilderness retreat provides a quiet place to escape amongst 77 wooded acres in the hills of Pakenham, a historic rural community on the edge of the Ottawa Valley. The cabin sits between a high valley ridge and a quiet forest, perched above a meandering bubbling brook offering a tranquil atmosphere sure to recharge and refocus you. Explore the leisure trails this unique property has to offer through rolling hills, maple groves, creeks and natural artesian springs. Spend a day exploring the more expansive hiking trails in the area and the historic villages of Mississippi Mills nestled along the Mississippi River. For the craft beer enthusiasts... visit Cartwright Springs Brewery on the main road of our property for a personal tour of their operation and for samples of their delicious artisan spring beers and maple porters. Joni cabin offers a clean, minimalist, rustic and open-concept design with modern amenities and lots of windows and light to bring the natural beauty of the outside in.
The cabin is located a quick 6-minute drive to the rural village of Pakenham on the Mississippi River. Stop into town for a picnic by the beach or by the boiling rapids at the historic Five Span Bridge. You'll find all your provisions here in town like groceries, LCBO, lunch, dinner, ice cream from Scoops and fudge from Penny's Fudge Factory.
Located 45-minutes west of Ottawa, 2.50 hours from Montreal, 4.15 hours from Toronto.
Our cabin is completely OFF-GRID. (Don’t let this scare you). The cabin is modernized and solar powered with the following amenities and features in the Fall, Summer and Spring:
• Drive-in Access until snow falls (Winter hike-in access)
• 2-burner gas stovetop • Mini fridge and freezer
• Indoor composting toilet • Outdoor shower (Running water is shut-off Mid-October - Spring Melt/ Early May)
• Kitchen accessories and essentials
• Propane BBQ
• Drinkable and running water (Running water is shut-off Mid-October - Spring Melt/ Early May)
• Indoor/outdoor bar
• Creekside fire pit
• Board games, cards and puzzles
• 1 queen bed (ground floor) / 1 twin bed (bunk)
• Queen bed converts to c-shaped couch
THINGS TO DO
• Lounge, relax, unplug, unwind, enjoy doing nothing
• Hike the trails on the property
• Visit Cartwright Springs Brewery for a personal tour, samples, and beers for purchase
• Canoe the Mississippi River (launch from Pakenham) (6-minute drive)
• Visit High Lonesome Trail Reserve (7-minute drive)
• Visit Blakeney Rapids for a refreshing dip in the Mississippi or hike river as it narrows into rapids (14-minute drive)
• Visit the Mill of Kintail Conservation Area for hiking trails and museum (19-minute drive)
• Explore the village of Almonte, an historic and picturesque mill town along the Mississippi with quaint shops, galleries, cafes, restaurants and festivals (20-minute drive)
THINGS TO BRING
• Sheets, pillow cases and towels. (Each bed comes with a clean fitted sheet, pillows and a comforter.) You are welcome to bring your own blankets or sleeping bags.
• Firewood (you can also collect deadwood on the property)
• Appropriate clothes, layers, and bug repellant
PLEASE BE AWARE... SHARED TRAILS
Our hiking trails are shared between our guests and the owners/customers of Cartwright Springs Brewery who may be touring the brewery. Don't be alarmed if you encounter other people on the hiking trails.
This cabin does not have an indoor shower. Enjoy showering in our refreshingly clean artesian spring-fed outdoor shower at the side of the cabin. The shower is equipped with hot water.
There is NO WIFI access at the cabin. But there is good, reliable cell reception for Rogers and Bell customers.
You are more than welcome to bring along your pup. 1 dog per booking is permitted. You will need to add your dog as an “additional guest” when booking. Additional guest/pet fee is $25/per night.
Joni cabin can accommodate up to 3 guests. The daily rate includes 2 guests. Additional guest fee is $25/per night.
Children 12 and under are FREE. Do not bother checking off your child(ren) as additional guests when booking. Please just let us know in your notes.
Guests will have full access to the cabin and surrounding property. Entry is by lock-box and key. Note: Check in time is 3 pm. Check-out is 11 am.
Interaction with guests We are always a phone call or text away for any questions or assistance. Our trusty on-call property, Andre, is the owner of Cartwright Springs Brewery. He lives nearby and can be made available if need be.
No smoking No parties or events Pets allowed
ADDITIONAL RULES ENERGY CONSUMPTION:
As an off-grid, solar powered cabin, energy conservation is key. Please turn off lights when not in use, especially when you are outside of the cabin. Drawing too much energy may cause you to lose power, so please be mindful of your consumption. There is a back-up generator if needed.
Please keep your evening noise levels to within reason. Help us to promote a quiet and tranquil setting for everyone.
All garbage and recycling must be packed up and taken home on your departure.
You are more than welcome to bring along your dogs. We ask that you please keep them off the bed. Due to common allergies, cats must be kept at home. Cancellation Policy